Google Display Network (GDN) and Google Display & Video 360 (DV360) are two platforms used for advertising on the internet. Both platforms have different features and target audiences, and each has advantages and disadvantages.
What is Google Display Network?
Google Display Network is a vast network of websites, blogs, and YouTube channels that allow marketers to display their advertisements. The main advantage of GDN is its massive reach, as it covers over 90% of all internet users, making it an excellent platform for advertisers looking to reach many potential customers. Additionally, GDN allows marketers to target their audience based on demographics, interests, and behaviours.
What is Google DV360?
Google Display & Video 360, on the other hand, is a more advanced platform that provides a full suite of tools for digital advertising. It is designed for professional marketers and agencies and provides more sophisticated targeting options than GDN. DV360 provides advertisers with real-time reporting and optimization, allowing them to make data-driven decisions about their campaigns. It offers additional features, such as creative optimization, cross-device measurement, and third-party data integrations.
Pros of Google Display Network
- Reach: GDN covers over 90% of all internet users, making it an excellent platform for advertisers looking to reach many potential customers.
- Cost-effective: GDN is generally less expensive than other forms of digital advertising, making it a good option for small businesses with limited marketing budgets.
- Targeting options: GDN allows marketers to target their audience based on various factors, such as demographics, interests, and behaviours, which helps increase the relevance of the ads to the target audience.
- Integration with other Google products: GDN integrates with other Google products, such as Google Ads, making it easier for marketers to manage their advertising campaigns.
- User-friendly interface: GDN has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for marketers to set up and manage their campaigns.
Cons of Google Display Network
- Limited targeting options: While GDN offers some targeting options, DV360 is more advanced, making it difficult for marketers to target their desired audience effectively. With recent updates, Google is forcing advertisers to target broader audiences.
- Lack of real-time reporting and optimization: GDN needs to provide real-time reporting and optimization, which can limit the ability of marketers to make data-driven decisions about their campaigns.
- Limited creative optimization options: GDN does not offer creative optimization options, which can limit the ability of marketers to test and refine their advertisements to improve performance.
- No cross-device measurement: GDN does not provide cross-device measurement, making it difficult for marketers to understand how their ads perform on different devices.
- Dependence on Google Ads: GDN is closely tied to Google Ads, which means that marketers may need to use Google Ads to set up and manage their campaigns, even if they only want to use GDN.
- Lack of third-party data integrations: GDN does not allow for third-party data integrations, which can limit the ability of marketers to gain a complete picture of their target audience.
Pros of Google Display & Video 360:
- Advanced targeting options: DV360 provides advertisers with more sophisticated targeting options than GDN, including real-time reporting and optimization.
- Creative optimization: DV360 offers creative optimization, which allows advertisers to test and refine their advertisements to improve performance.
- Cross-device measurement: DV360 provides cross-device measurement, which helps advertisers understand how their ads perform on different devices.
- Third-party data integrations: DV360 allows advertisers to integrate third-party data into their campaigns, providing a complete picture of their target audience.
Cons of Google Display & Video 360:
- Cost: DV360 is more expensive than GDN, making it a better option for larger businesses with larger marketing budgets.
- Complexity: DV360 is a more complex platform than GDN, which may make it difficult for small business owners or marketers with limited experience to use it effectively.
- Technical expertise required: DV360 requires a certain level of technical knowledge and an understanding of digital advertising and data analysis to use effectively.
Which platform is right for you?
It depends on your specific advertising goals and resources. If you’re a small business owner with limited marketing resources, then GDN may be the way to go. However, if you’re a marketing manager with a larger budget and more advanced marketing goals, then DV360 is the better option.
In conclusion, both Google Display Network and Google Display & Video 360 are potent tools for digital advertising, each with its strengths and weaknesses.
If you decide to work with Unbound, you should not worry about all this, as we will run your ads on the right platform to deliver the results. We have a skilled team who can set up and manage campaigns in Google Display Network or DV360.
Please call us if you want to find out more about either Google Display Network or DV360 or which one is right for you.